Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 Gaming Wrap-Up

I swung by Mission Fun and Games Boxing Week sale today and picked up the 4th and 5th Commands and Colors Ancients Expansions. The store was reasonably crowded given it was the third day of the sale.

As I was driving home I got to thinking about how much more gaming I did in 2011 than in 2010. I started tracking games this year, in no small part due to the gaming Jess and I do.

In 2011, I played 235 games, of which 117 were serious games. The rest are short, family style games (Bendomino, Noisy Noisy Hippos).

At the top of the list of serious games were various Richard Borg designed: Battlelore (18 plays), Commands and Colors Napoleonics (12 plays), Commands and Colors Ancients (6 plays) and BattleCry (1 play where Jessica crushed me). Following that there were 20 plays of DBA/HoTT and six plays of Borg-derived AWI/1812 games by Worthington Games.

I expect we'll see more serious games in 2012 as Jessica becomes able to play and win more complex games. I'm chuffed to play more Battlelore and the epic versions of both Battlelore and CCA at the club.

Up next: I have 100 15mm WW2 figures that I should finish basing today between family events. And I have 16 28mm Roman auxilia built and ready to prime. Tomorrow Craig will drop by for a playdate (and some Battlelore for us) and Dave is set to bring the girls by on Saturday (with some HoTT for us). I've also made great strides in cleaning the hobby room and putting together a list of projects for 2012.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Kevin and I swung by there too today and ran into Justin with his family in tow! I picked up some terrain and a 28mm El Cid blister which with the discount cost approximately what it would at a normal retailer...

All those games and like ~3,000 figures painted? How do you do it?

See you Saturday-

Bob Barnetson said...

Glad you found some deals; the stock of board games is pretty amazing and business was booming early in the day.

If you question about productivity is non-rhetorical and you won't be satisfied with "low quality work" as the answer, I think working at home gives me about 2 extra hours every day, about one of which gets investing in gaming or painting. I also watch almost no TV (maybe 3 or 4 hours a week) so have a lot of time in the evenings--even 30 minutes a night is boon.

Much looking forward to our game on Saturday. Now back to stickering endless blocks of wood.