A few weeks back, Bruce very kindly donated some surplus 2mm terrain. I was very much taken with Rommel when we played it back in the autumn so I ordered some 3mm WW2 tanks.
Apologies for the picture quality--it is hard to snap a shot of tanks these small. The bases are 40x30mm FoW size.
I spent a fair bit of time fiddling about with different basing techniques. These look much better in person than they do in these pictures (e.g., way less green).
A search of pictures on the web suggested some useful techniques: mono-colour tanks with a wash to bring up detail and contrasting bases to let the tanks pop a bit. Bruce helpfully suggested wall filler as a basing compound which allowed me to put some texture on the bases.
I then ended up in a cycle of painting, drybrushing, and washing. I was trying to use pre-made colours (so I could replicate look later) but also match my existing Hotz mat (cause I'm not buying another mat!) and to be vague enough that the units could do Italy, France 1940 and the desert.
The picture below is probably the most colour-true picture and achieved the arid-olive look I was going for. The finished units will have a paper unit tag (for basic info plus hits) taped to the bottom. It has been too hot to sit in front of the computer to figure these out.
Up next: I have a ton of other units underway, including individually posed strips of foot pounders! I also have a few terrain pieces (couple of oases, some bridges, some trenches). But likely a job lot of sci-fi and pulp next.