Wednesday, January 4, 2012

January 3 EWG Club Night

We had 14 guys out for the first club night of the year, including the return of newcomer Alan and the reappearance of old new guy (or new old guy?) Neil. I ran a four-player game of Star Trek Fleet Captains, with Chris and Bruce as the blood-thirsty Klingons and Chen and Alan as the peaceable Federation.

The game was a bit slower than a two-player version (and no one had ever played before). I was surprised at how much combat there was right off. While the Federation players eventually won (and did a creditable job of keeping their weak science ship out of the fray to earn victory points through missions), it was fun to see the Klingons get their dander up late in the game and really put a joint pasting on the Enterprise E.

Elliott and Kevin played a game of War Machine that was still going on when I left (hope they swept the floor!). It was very pretty and Elliott had models out that I don't think I have seen before.

Dave hosted Neil, Terry, Andy, Scott, Jonathan and Mark in a game of Hail Caesar. Basically it was a Hastings-like battle in 28mm with a Saxon win. I don't know that I have ever seen a Norman win of this battle with any miniature rules.

Mark has done a nice job of a battle report with more pictures. Looks like we have a bit of red-rover-red-rover calling the Norman horse over going on here.

Up next: I have some 28mm Celts underway with a slight change in how I have been handling the flesh (lots of shirtless guys) and they should be done by the end of the week. I also hope to get a solo game of Star Trek Fleet Captains in against the Borg. And Bruce left me a nice little AWI solo game to try out.

No comments: