Saturday, October 14, 2023

Xenos 'Nam

I popped over to Bruce's in early September for a Vietnam adaptation of Xenos Rampant. It was a rescue the downed chopper pilot scenario using Bruce's 28mm Name collection (mostly Pulp Miniatures).


I chose Charlie who was the attacker so got to choose which side the Americans entered on. I gave him rice fields and a village, in the hope that this would slow him down. 


Bruce did pretty well with activation rolls but his MG bogged down and the terrain was simply slow going.


I rushed my faster guys up in the hope of a grab-and-go victory.


His troops that dismounted from the M113 got chewed up by my MG team hiding in some brush. Bruce's team moved through the town but go knocked back my some RPGs. 


Eventually I was able to get to the pilot. I sacrificed a large number of troops to tie up his APC.


Then it became a foot race between my troops dragging the pilot to my base edge and his APC rushing to try and catch me. Some unlucky dice rolls saw the Americans stall and the VC hoof it off the table edge.


Overall, a solid game with lots of tension and drama. An airstrike beat up my units out in the open. There were also tough decisions on both sides about who to try and activate. I was fortunate that I'd divided up the tasks such that most of my units could auto-activate when I needed them to do something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was dumb to try to move THROUGH the rice paddies. I should have run, BETWEEN them. There was no reason to spread out, until I got close to the downed chopper. Very tough scenario for all concerned. I am continually impressed by how robust and flexible XR is

Terry Silverthorn said...

I know Xenos Rampant is the flavour of the month, but I could easily see this "with Bruce's tinkering'working well with Congo too. Great looking game!