Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Commercial block

As part of a job lot, I picked up this merchants block from Walther. It was in bad shape. It was missing both roof pieces, the short wall on the roof, and, most concerningly, an angled piece of brick on the front corner was missing. 


I didn't snap a picture of the building I got but I think it was supposed to look like the one above. The cupola and door were missing. To fix this, I had to remove parts of two walls to allow the front corner to mate. I also had to make roof and wall pieces.


I then did not minimal painting. The result is passable. It looks way worse in this photo than in real life. I will go back and touch up the brick work on the from corner.


For $2 and a bit of plastic card, I'm happy enough.


Up next: Some 54mm AWI highlands that have been staring mournfully from the paint table for almost a year.

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Monmouth Courthouse

I hauled my 54mm AWI troops out to the club this week to put on a game of Tricorne. I selected the Monmouth Courthouse scenario as I don't think I have ever gamed that one before.


Scott and Bruce were for king and Richard and Chen were for congress. Red Claw was packed when we got there so I much appreciate Leanne saving us a 6x4 table to game on.


Monmouth has 22 units per side and requires nine victory banners to win, so it took us two hours to get through the scenario. The British can gain two banners per American hill-hex that they occupy.


The British spent a lot of time maintaining a solid line to allow them to play the many, many line cards that they got. They focussed first on ejecting the Americans from the forward line of hedges and trying to firm up the British left flank (which was enfiladed by cannon).


These poor Prussian grenadiers earned their pay that day and were forced to advance to the rear after a few turns. Bruce also immediately lost the unit of highlanders I spent weeks (WEEKS!) painting to a bad rout die roll over on the British right.


The shot above pretty much sums up the first hour. The British carefully advanced under fire while the Americans fell back.


I trotted out both some new cannons (made from pencil sharpeners) and some cavalry that had not seen battle before. This was about 50% of my 54mm collection.


Having taken the hedge line, there was a lengthy bit of bombardment (there are seven cannons in the game) which started to pile up the American casualties. There were also a pair (?) of American leader losses which was unfortunate for the rebels.


At this point, the British finally got some right-side cards and started to advance on that side (in the background of the photo below) while the Americans tried to put some pressure on in the foreground.


Grabbing a hill hex (background of photo below) gave the British the two extra banners they needed and brought the game to a close (I think it was 9-4 but am not sure).


Overall, relatively fun. The British got a lot of line cards and worked hard to maximize their effectiveness. The Americans suffered for this. And also had a couple of nasty rout rolls. Thanks to everyone for playing!

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Factory

Still more buildings this week. This is an HO-scale factory I got for $2 at the railway swap meet.


This is a nice model. I spent some time dry brushing, washing and sealing. The photos don't really show the improvement this made but it is now a nice looking piece.


It has lots of levels for characters to move on and fight from behind. This as a fairly easy reclamation project. I still need to print off a sign for the one on the roof.


Next week I'll have a more difficult project finished.

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Hey you, in the jail!

I dropped over to Bruce's on Tuesday to try out "Hey you, in the jail!", a meter Pig rule set akin to AK47. I missed the game at the club last Tuesday and Bruce wanted to give some rules amendments a try (primarily adding in three objective markers to force the defenders to move about the table.


Like many PP rules, there is a pregame map phase that creates a campaign-like feel. I ended up defending three objectives with two units. Bruce arrived on the board with three units and sent one on a flank march. The map game eventually played out in favour with my reinforcements arriving early and Bruce's not arriving at all.


Above you can see my troops loitering at the farm, ready to defend the bridge (out of shot on right) of the objective marker on the hill. Bruce's flankers have just arrived at my rear.


Bruce's main force quickly grabbed the highest value marker in the middle of the table. While a gunfight developed back by the farm. My reinforcements arrived just behind Bruce's flankers. This was heartening but ultimately pointless as I couldn't roll higher than a four all night.


In the main time, I attack one of Bruce's weaker units at range to try and kill off some units (which counted towards the victory total). Alas, the dice deserted me.


In the end my troops were forced to dash for an objective marker (unsuccessfully) and took a pounding as Bruce handily won the game. I don't recall the score but on my way out Bruce hand me both my coat and my ass, so I suspect it was pretty lopsided!


Overall, a fun game. Shooting was pretty ineffective and we talked about lowering the saving scored (so hits stick more often). That said, the rules seemed fine (with the addition to objective markers)--my problems were all dice-related. This rules might well work for the Riel Rebellion.


I'm nw back at the paint table working on more HO-scale buildings and a few more 54mm AWI. I hope to run an AWI game at the club next week.