Tuesday, December 3, 2019

15mm WW2 Germans softskins for sale

For a change of pace, I painted up sixteen 15mm German soft skins. These are resin Battlefront models I got in a job lot. I have added them to my 15mm WW2 for sale page.

Nice enough models, suitable for France, Russia or the desert. A bit of grass could be added to the bases but don't want to make the too specific until sold.

Up next: Gaming at the club, a building, some 28mm adventurers, and maybe some more 15mm WW2 (German reduce units).

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Zeds, Naps and gangsters

A bit of a job lot of figures today. First up are the last of the zombies for awhile, I hope. There were some of the larger guys. Judging by the neck lanyards, I would say civil servants who just got layoff notices?

There were also three regular toxic zeds plus an old heroclix guy who has been lingering on my paint table for awhile.

I also finished of the gangsters from pulp alley. Some very well armed fellows!

Bruce had me over last week to try out some changes to his yet-unnamed Napoleonic game. I got crushed but, in losing so badly, we discovered a few issues to clean up.

Up next: we have the club this week with lunar wars and some WW2 crossfire on offer. I hope to move some more figures, including a building to completion.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Sorry, still more Zeds.

So, still more Zeds from the Toxic Mall box. I know you are likely bored looking at them. Rest assured, I'm tired of painting them. But we're nearly done.

I knocked of a mixed lots of regulars zombies (including some bigger ones) as well as a bunch of toxic zombies.

The toxic Zeds are more interesting to look at. But I'll be happy to see the shambling-ass end of this project.

I also finished a few more gangsters from Pulp Figures. Four gangsters plus a lovely fire hydrant and a police box. I think I have three more that just need the base painted.

Up next: Honestly, I'm not sure. I have a building underway. And I need to think through a holiday-themed game. I'm thinking some kind of Franklin Expedition tie-in. The lesson from my last few pulp games is less complexity and smaller tables. So it might be a straight up fight for control of the Terror? Maybe with the ice breaking up? I dunno. Need to layout what I have.

Saturday, November 23, 2019

War at Sea!

We had five guys out at the club this week (bad roads) but Red Claw was packed with painters and gamers. Bruce hosted Chen and Mike in a game of Congo Gulch. At one point Chen was being berated for killing the objective (!) but the game continued.

I played War at Sea with newcomer Derek. Derek trucked a ridiculous number of ships out for us to choose among and gently walked me through a Pacific game.

My allied fleet was up against a nasty bunch of Japanese gunboats. Fortunately, I managed to get lucky with some early airstrikes.

Airstrikes continued to work for me.

And I was up fairly far in points by mid-game.

Unfortunately, I got cocky and ate some torpedoes. And then Derek threw a mitt full of sixes and the HMS Hood exploded and I was down to destroyers and torpedo bombers.

Fortunately, between kills and objective captures, I got enough points to win before the Japanese gunnery ravaged my tin cans.

Overall, this was a hoot to play and Derek was very gracious answering my questions. It is not a simulation but was good fun an d was easy to learn. Since the ships are no longer available, I wonder if the rules could be modified to Star Trek?

Friday, November 22, 2019

Comment function update

Just a quick note. I fiddled the comment function because it has been giving folks problems. The new approach seems to be be working well enough; I hope you are finding it an improvement.

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated to prevent spammers from filling old posts with garbage. I can't imagine who would want to spam my blog, but whatever.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

More gangsters

In between other projects, I have been grinding away at some Pulp Figures gangsters I bought back in September.

I finished five more figures this past week. I was happiest with the one below because he could work for a flamboyant 1930s gangster or a crime boss in the 1980s.

These crooks seemed fine enough. Simple paint jobs but timeless enough.

I was less happy with these guys. I was experimenting with some washes to get a better grey/black. Meh. Fine enough to go on the shelf.

Up next: Probably some toxic zombies.

Saturday, November 16, 2019

More Lunar Wars

Bruce took us back to the moon with four game of Artifact this week using his Airfix figures. He was porting over some scenarios from Marine 2002 so we were doing some play balance testing.

First was a Soviet ground convoy being attacked by US moon skimmers. We played twice, once with four skimmers and once with three before deciding that two skimmers is likely the right number to give the Soviets some chance to getting off board.

We then played a game with some aliens (GW figures). The alien's powers include jumping, a radiation attack, and good melee capability.

The aliens got slaughtered, in part because they may have been over pointed slightly (so outmatched). But also because my dice sucked harder than the vacuum of space.

Finally, we ran a convoy breakout versus a ground force. Here the curvature of the moon (four hex LOS) came into play. Bruce just straight up out played me, catching me one turn behind in my decision making the whole game ("I should probably dismoun... BOOM! ...//sound of no one hearing me scream//."). Clear win for the commies.

Overall, a lot of fun and a very nice execution of miniaturizing a board game. Lots of difficult tactical decisions in a very balanced game system.

Up next: Some gangsters, maybe a game at the club and then a slew of gangsters and more Zeds. Kind of burning out on zombies so will likely kick the survivors from the Toxic Mall box to next year's Zomtober.