Saturday, October 14, 2017

Long Island flank march

I popped over to Bruce's to game Tuesday night and brought Commands and Colors Tricorne with me. I wanted to try the British flank march at Long Island scenario,


This scenario has an interesting deployment, with the British caught in the middle on a row of hills. Hessians to the front, Brits to the back. Oh my! Also, the American troops suck.


I think I did well holding off the Hessians at first and gaining some early banners. But this cost combat power. I also had some tough cards to manage.


Bruce eventually moved to cut off Washington's retreat line to the ferries. I like to think I played a decent insurgent-kind-of-game. The game went on long enough that we didn't have time to switch sides.


I had some narrow escapes using the retreat option to my advantage. The rallying mechanic and the reduced combat power of the dice (fewer dice and fewer infantry symbols) makes the game less deadly.


Eventually, though, Bruce got enough banners to win (he was relentless) and I had no chance to come back anyways (not enough troops). A good game, I though. I'm not sure I have ever gamed the flank march? There is also a scenario covering the pinning attack on Long Island designed to distract from the flank march.


Up next: Some more minis are done and we have club night on Tuesday. I'm not sure what else I need to attend to but I am turning my mind to a holiday themed game for December. The painting is done--I just need to read the rues and design a decent scenario.

2 comments:

Prufrock said...

Hmm, interesting. Nice report. This one had slipped under the radar. How do you feel it compares to CCA / CCN?

Cheers,
Aaron

Bob Barnetson said...

This is a nice adaptation. The key mechanical change is that, when units retreat, they must roll to avoid routing. This makes supporting units (i.e., linear tactics), leaders, a unit-based morale important. The game is slower as the combat power of the dice are reduced and the board is bigger. Overall, a very nice adaptation for the AWI. Should also work for FIW and 1812.