Saturday, November 2, 2019

Take me to church

I've been looking to add a church to my Gotham layout for awhile but have had zero luck finding one I liked. Most model railway church are clapboard country chapels. The more gothic models tend to be huge and expensive.


I was at the the model railway swap meet two weeks ago and this church was on for $3 (!!!). I fixed a bad glue job (tower was not plumb with building even though this is basically a snap-tite kit???) and added some paint, a wash, and dull coated.


I think it does a good job of conveying the impression of a church (buttresses, lancet windows, bell tower) without taking up a huge amount of space on the table or my shelves. I think this will work in either a urban setting or as an isolated country church of some vintage.

4 comments:

Khusru said...

A very nice looking building. And dirt cheap!

Carrion Crow said...

Ah, the Plasticville "Cathedral". A very nice model that I used for my Victorian board, as a small church/chapel in Blackwell. However,mine wasn't ascheap as yours, as Plasticville buildings are hard to come by in the UK.

Simon Quinton said...

Looks great. I really like that a lot.

Bob Barnetson said...

Thanks guys! Yes, not really a cathedral but it gives you the flavour of one!