Monday, June 19, 2017

Decision in North America

Last week, I dropped in on bruce to try out a new game he picked up (new to us--probably five years old) called The American Revolution: Decision in North America. The nub of the game is point-to-point movement, one turn equals one year, variable movement, territorial control affects resources the next year, some card play, simple combat.


We played the intro four-year scenario. As I was unclear n how the game worked, my "plan" was to do the thing that seemed to hurt Bruce the worst each turn and hoped that piled up over time. So Washington went north, lost a battle, and returned south. But Carleton had to overwinter is rural new England, which was not good for his troops.


I went north again the second year. Bruce's better knowledge of how resources worked meant he go a jump on me in army building and things were looking dire as he started to blockage New England. Fortunately, I got lucky as all hell on the combat dice.


By year three, things were starting to turn around for Washington. There were more militia and I was deploying them in ways that made more sense in terms of resource acquisition. And Washington was the General Patton the AWI, rolling into town, rousting the Germans, and then rolling forward.


The final turn (I think) saw a lot of American militia and the British army pretty much decimated. I don't think it was an American military victory, but it was close. I was less successful on the political charts (out of frame on the left) which is one of the things you can (and should) spend resources on.



I would totally play this again (ideally while I can still recall the rules). This week, bruce and I will collaborating on a Bat-themed game of Pulp Alley at the club, in part to mourn the passing of Adam West.

1 comment:

Tanvi said...

Hi Bob,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Bob's Miniature Wargaming has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Miniature Blogs on the web.

http://blog.feedspot.com/miniature_blogs/

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Miniature Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.


Best,
Anuj