Thursday, March 12, 2015

DBA 3.0

Bruce picked up the new DBA 3.0 rules awhile back and offered to run a game. We started with French v English and Bruce managed to win both games!


The first game looked good for me, bagging his general early on. But somehow I managed to get pounded in a swirling cavalry engagement. I did like the new terrain set-up mechanisms, though.


Game two looks good for me in the beginning (the right side especially). But then I discovered that  bow really don't need a quick kill against knights--just some reasonable rolls makes enough of a mess.


We then switched to Roman v Carthaginians. I managed a win as the Romans, cleaning up a littoral landing before managing to engage his main line using the new support rules. I do like how fast the units move to contact.

One my turn with the Carthaginians, I also tried a littoral landing (no terrain to make this so we just measured out a coastal zone) and promptly got myself into trouble. I was forced to send in the cavalry to try and avoid total disaster. And didn't... (a 1vs a 6 is bad news in any edition of DBA!).


Overall, some nice changes that seem to get away from tho gimmicky geometric strategies. Match-up still matter, although less definitively. Not sure I liked it enough to buy a copy, but I liked it enough to play again!

2 comments:

Dave said...

The game is much better, and the now annotated army lists alone make it worth the bucks IMO.

But yeah... 1s still kill you.

Mike B said...

Looking forward to getting back into DBA. Much impressed!

despertaferres.wordpress.com