Thursday, September 29, 2011

28mm Renaissance Pike

With cooler weather and sunset coming earlier, I've been spending more time in the basement painting. These 28mm pikemen (from the Perry Late Medieval box) are the first to roll of the production line in awhile.

I've tried to paint these as early renaissance German pike (are these landsknechts?). Thus a slightly less flamboyant colour palette and fewer feathers and whatnot on the helms than these more Italian fellows.

I think the pikes would benefit from one of them having a colourful banner attached to the top so I may add a tinfoil banner to each base later on.

I appear to have gone a bit overboard with the flower motif. Perhaps a flashback to the wall paper in my dad's foyer during the 1970s. I am continuing this motif with the next set of figures though for consistency.

Up next: I have 9 crossbow and 9 shot figures almost painted to flesh out the orbat of this army. Add in the mounted and artillery (here, here and here) I did earlier and a few skirmishers and I think the basics are here. And I still have a huge set of GW Empire to make a more Italian army.

5 comments:

  1. Landsknechts were German mercenary pikemen and I believe they were pretty flamboyant as well... These look great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I will amp up the feathers and flowers! I think these figures are meant to be late medieval so I was going for a slightly less dudded up look than the Italian renaissance fellows--something in between the 100YW and the Italian wars so the figures could go back and forth some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking figures, especially like the painted pike, very eye-catching.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice. Look impressive. Will be great once the whole unit is complete.

    ReplyDelete