Gardening burnout drove me back to the painting table for a few hours this week and I finished off my Roman-Brit warband for Songs of Arthur and Merlin. These were part of a job to I picked up at the MayDay auction.
Merlin is a metal GW figure (Gandalf the White?). Great pose. The separate hand and staff has been a real bitch to keep attached during painting. I've super-glued it (three times!) and then triple sealed it with Future--hopefully that and a bit of care will keep the figure intact.
I did four spearmen. Shields are hand painted based on quasi-historical designs. Spears are a mix of copper and pins (so mind your fingers). I decided to go with muted, mono-colour clothes with just a bit of fringe decoration. I'll save the wild colours and patterns for the Saxons.
Here you can see them from the side. They look a bit like they are sneaking up on someone in a line, a la Scooby-Doo.
I did three bow. Not sure if bows were common weapons in the 5th century but, since my warband has Merlin in it, I suppose I ought not get too excited about historicity.
And then there are three guys with swords. The swords are plastics from various Wargames Factory sets I've built. The guy on the left looks really surprised to be in a fight.
Up next: I have painted 18 15mm cossack horses and will be starting on their riders this weekend. I expect these will go faster than the last batch. And there is a swap-meet Sunday where I hope to pick up some 28mm dark ages and modern terrain items.