Saturday, March 2, 2024

More colonials

A long time ago, I bought some metal Cylons. And then I successfully supplemented them with some plastic 3-D prints. I also had some metal Colonial warriors and bridge crew. To fill out their numbers, I bought some 3-D prints on Etsy.


Overall, these were pretty good for digital sculpts (the hair is a bit lame). There are 10 poses with bit of variety. They painted up well enough and could easily be used as new recruits or generic grunts.


They give me quit a mess of Colonials and I should be able to run games using skirmish or gang-level rules (I'll probably try these with a Fistful of Lead, but Xenos Rampant is also possible).


The one issue is that the prints are way short on identical bases. They are about 28mm from foot to top of head. The metals are probably 32mm to top of head. That doesn't sound like much, but it is about a 12% difference in height and volume which, as you can see below, is noticeable. Maybe a washer on the bottom of the base would help?

I'm not a scale purist by any stretch. This is, however, a recurring issue with Etsy prints of Big Mr. Tong files (even when advertised as 28m foot to eye). I think the solution is to look for vendors offering 32mm prints. Although, at this point, I'm not sure I really need any more figures.

No comments: